Purpose: to diagnose student learning and/or monitor progress locally during the year.
Characteristics: may be teacher, school, district, state, or commercially developed; can be used multiple times during the year to make instructional adjustments for students or groups of
Are my students on track?
How well are they progressing?
How well is this program/instructional unit working?
Assessing for INSTRUCTIONAL level, reporting HIGHEST instructional level on report cards
- See handout for how to determine instructional levels
- Independent levels used for Read to Self book selections
- Use word list to help determine possible starting point for new students, students with substantial growth, etc.
- Fluency is not a factor in the equation but offers you good information
Assessing for ACCURACY
- See handout for how to consistently score miscues—MARK MISCUES
- Make sure to mark Self-Corrections and determine self-correction ratio.
- Looking for direction for your interventions?—consider doing the MSV to help decide what skills your students needs intervention in.
- See handout for assessing comprehension
- It is a comprehension CONVERSATION—Have a Conversation! The prompts provided are just prompts; you have the freedom to use other language.
- Offer choices, ask to locate in book, etc.
- Importance to recording comprehension responses & additional prompts/questions.
*Does anyone use the timer consistent? Are people recording Oral Reading Rate?
*Students not reading at grade level exiting 4th grade should be benchmarked
Please make sure to sign out a kit when you take it!
Double-check that all of the books/materials are included in the kit before returning it.
Volunteers to meet after school to go through kits/make sure everything is currently present.At UGES we benchmark students in the lower grades several times a year. Here are documents that will help you benchmark your students:
- Updated Instructional Levels for 2013 (Download below under Related Files)
- Guidelines to assess a child's comprehension
- Determining easy, instructional and hard levels (Download below under Related Files)
- Coding and screening errors at a glance